Wednesday, June 18, 2014

American Flags



American flags. That’s what I made this week. I began making them years ago when our oldest son graduated from the Coast Guard Academy. I pointed out to him that I did not relish hearing about 64 foot waves, but that I was proud of his search and rescue work. Then I made a stoneware flag for a neighbor, a military physician, when he was promoted, which began a wider call for Kahoka flags. However, I still make only six or eight flags a year. It does not take many of them to meet my quota for straight lines, measuring, and counting. While I always count the stripes, I admit that I never count the stars but simply fill up the blue space. It a privilege to create such a significant icon out of clay, and I do so with respect. On the other hand, it is the meaning of the symbol that matters, along with its care, rather than precise replication. A neighbor took a picture of a Kahoka flag in the White house; I was pleased, but I had no need to go see it there. The only time I toured the White house, I saw JFK. (Wow, that really dates me!) 


Now if you want to own one of these somewhat limited American flags then head on over to OASIS Fine Art & Craft or to Lost River Artisan Cooperative. They will be more than happy to assist you in your purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment